Dr. Chance T. Kaplan
Chance T. Kaplan, M.D., F.A.C.S
Plastic surgeon Chance T. Kaplan, M.D., F.A.C.S., grew up in Montclair, New Jersey, after being born in Wurzburg, Germany. He attended South Carolina’s The Citadel Military College and earned his undergraduate degree there. In 1982, following his graduation, he began his service as a Medical Service Corps officer in the U.S. Army. Through the U.S. Army Health Professions Scholarship Program, he was able to attend The Medical University of South Carolina.
Dr. Kaplan’s training then took him to Miami Beach, Florida, where he completed his residency in general surgery at Mount Sinai Medical Center. Following this residency, Dr. Kaplan went on to Ohio State University in Columbus, Ohio, where he completed his plastic surgery fellowship. At Ohio State, Dr. Kaplan had the honor of working with and being trained by Dr. Robert Ruberg, who has served as both the Vice Chairman of the American Board of Plastic Surgery and President of the Association of Academic Chairman of Plastic Surgery. Under Dr. Ruberg, Dr. Kaplan received extensive training in specialized reconstructive procedures including cancer reconstruction and maxillofacial trauma.
Once Dr. Kaplan’s medical training was complete, he worked in El Paso, Texas, serving as the Chief of Plastic Surgery from 1994 to 1997 at William Beaumont Army Medical Center. In November of 1996, the American Board of Plastic Surgery granted Dr. Kaplan his board certification. He returned to Florida in 1997 and established his Fort Lauderdale private practice.
Currently, Dr. Kaplan remains an officer in the United States Army Reserve, which allows his talents in cosmetic and reconstructive surgery to remain available to the men and women who serve in our armed forces as well as men and women serving with our allies.
People who are seeking to make positive changes in their lives through plastic, cosmetic and reconstructive surgery are coming to Fort Lauderdale from around the country to seek the skill and talents of Dr. Chance T. Kaplan. In addition to Dr. Kaplan’s expertise and experience in such a challenging surgical field, he also brings warmth and compassion to the patients who come to his office.
Some skills only come with experience. In addition to Dr. Kaplan’s technical skill, he also has an innate understanding of which procedures are right for which patient. People who come to his Fort Lauderdale office for a consultation can take advantage of his expert opinion. Dr. Kaplan feels that it is important for patients to understand the procedures fully and have realistic expectations as to what a given procedure can and cannot provide. Dr. Kaplan will fully discuss your options with you and help you come to a decision that is right for you as an individual with unique needs.
Dr. Kaplan understands that the decision to seek plastic or reconstructive surgery is never an easy one, and he demonstrates an ability to listen carefully and understand the needs and goals of his patients.
Certifications and Achievements:
- Member – The American Board of Plastic Surgery
- Member – American Medical Association
- Member – Caducean Society of Greater Ft. Lauderdale
- Diplomat American Board of Medical Examiners
- Advanced Trauma Life Support Certified (ATLS)
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support Certified (ACLS)
- Chief of Surgery Broward Health Imperial Point
- Basic Life Certification
- Fellow – American College of Surgeons
- Global Humanitarian Volunteer Surgeon
- Staff Surgeon Operation Smile (Yasothon, Thailand)
- Officer in the United States Army Reserve
- Officer In charge (OIC) Tumbes, Peru
- Over 30 years of military background
- Hadi Hospital Ribbon Cutting Ceremony – Opening of new wing at Hadi Hospital in Kuwait: Certificate of Appreciation and Cooperation
- Operation Smile – 1999 World Hope of Journey of Hope Campaign volunteer: Guinness book record children surgery